After the FIA introduced new engine regulations for Formula 1 cars in late 1987, teams using turbocharged engines encountered some difficulties. The FIA not only tightened restrictions on turbocharged engines, but also decided to officially ban them in 1989. While most teams turned to naturally aspirated engines after receiving the new regulations, McLaren’s designers saw a different side of the turbocharged engines. With the idea that the center of gravity and drag of a Formula 1 car would get lower and smaller, McLaren lowered the vehicle as much as possible, lengthened the front and changed the driver’s seat angle from 45 degrees to 30 degrees. At the same time, McLaren started cooperation with Honda. The RA168E turbocharged engine was perfectly integrated with the bodywork design. Thus a very competitive racing car, the McLaren MP4/4 was born.
The drivers who made the McLaren MP4/4 a true legend were the genius Ayrton Senna and ‘The Professor’ Alain Prost. Driven by these two top drivers, the McLaren MP4/4 took most victories in 1988. The two drivers took turns to take the victories. In this season, Senna won his first Formula 1 World Drivers’ Championship and McLaren won Formula 1 World Constructors’ Championship with a total of 199 points. A legend was born!
- Model Dimensions: 36.7 x 17.7 x 7.8 cm
- This is a 1/12 large scale precision and detailed replica of this legendary F1 racing car
- The front wing assembly and the upper bodywork are removable. This kit includes stands to show the upper bodywork separately.
- The carbon nosebox designed for improved racing safety is removable. Tires are made of vinyl material.
- The steering wheel and front wheels are connected by a steering mechanism, and they will rotate in linkage. The wishbones, steering track rods, pullrods and steering column are metal parts.
- The interior structure of the cockpit is precisely represented. This kit includes reflective mirror foils for rearview mirrors.
- The safety belts made of special fabric material are not only realistic, but also easy to assemble.
- The RA168E 1.5L V6 turbocharged engine and matching transmission are realistically represented.
- The RA168E 1.5L V6 turbocharged engine can be displayed separately. The clutch structure is precisely replicated.
- The radiator is replicated with precision stainless-steel PE parts. This kit also includes parts of different materials and shapes like springs, vinyl tubes and screws which make the model look more realistic.
This kit requires paint, glue and finishing supplies to complete.